The Western Dressage Association® of America has developed a show recognition process to allow participation in the WDAA Horse Lifetime Points & Award Program. Only approved competitions that are recognized by WDAA will be eligible for participation in the WDAA Horse Lifetime Awards Program as well as future WDAA award programs.
- A unique show identification number will be assigned by WDAA for all approved recognized shows and will be provided exclusive WDAA branded logos for advertising and promotion. (special logo files will be delivered electronically).
- All WDAA Recognized Shows will be highlighted on the WDAA Events Calendar webpage with a website link for show details. You can find the list of all WDAA recognized shows HERE.
- To apply for WDAA Recognized Show status, submit your application at least thirty (30) days prior to the show start date. Provide show bill or prize/class list and judge’s credentials.
- A $35 recognized show fee must be submitted with the application.
- Separate applications, companion documentation, and fees must be submitted for each individual show/event. The WDAA retains the right of final approval of recognition for all events.
- The online submission form is provided below on this page, and provides for payment by PayPal or by check.
Criteria for Show Recognition to be approved by WDAA:
- The show must adhere to USEF WD rules for all tests and rail classes
- The show must use WDAA tests (available on the WDAA website)
- All dressage tests and rail classes must be judged by USEF-licensed judges as defined in the USEF Rulebook(s) (i.e. USEF ‘r’, ‘R’, or ‘S’ Dressage licensed judges or USEF-licensed Western Dressage judges)
- All judges must be a member in good standing of WDAA (Find USEF Recognized Western Dressage Judges here…)
USEF ‘r’ Western Dressage judges are approved to judge western dressage Intro, Basic, and Level 1 tests only. Level 2 and above tests judged by USEF ‘r’ Western Dressage judges will not be eligible for submission for WDAA Horse Performance Award.
USEF “R” Western Dressage judges are approved to judge all levels of Western Dressage tests.
*USEF ‘r’ and “R” Western Dressage judges are approved to judge western dressage suitability, hack, or equitation classes.
USEF ‘r’, “R”, and “S” Dressage judges are approved to judge all levels at a Western Dressage show.
USEF ‘r’, “R”, and “S” Dressage judges are not eligible to judge western dressage suitability, hack, or equitation classes.
Additional information regarding recognized shows
Double Points from USEF-licensed Shows Introduced for WDAA Horse Lifetime Points & Awards Program
- Double points may be earned for the WDAA Horse Lifetime Points and Awards Program if a WDAA Recognized Show is USEF licensed, only if the judge officiating is a current USEF-licensed Western Dressage judge. Tests judged by a USEF-licensed Dressage judge will not earn double points.
- If a WDAA Recognized Show is USEF-licensed and is double-judged by 2 USEF-licensed Western Dressage judges, only one score from one judge per ride can be submitted. You may pick the higher score of the two judges for each ride to submit, as long as the higher score was from a USEF-licensed Western Dressage judge.
- Submissions from these tests described above will be doubled within the WDAA Horse Lifetime Points and Awards Program software
- In no circumstances may a horse earn more than double points for a single ride, except at the WDAA World Championship Show, where a single ride earns triple points.
- Scores earned at non-USEF–licensed WDAA Recognized Shows are not eligible for double points in the WDAA Lifetime Points and Awards Program.
Show Recognition responsibilities after receiving approval:
- All WDAA Recognized Shows will be governed by the USEF WD Rule Book.
- All participants in western dressage classes at WDAA Recognized Shows will be eligible to take part and submit placings in the WDAA Horse Lifetime Points & Awards Program.
- All WDAA Recognized Show results MUST be submitted to the WDAA within fourteen (14) days of the closing of event.
- WDAA Recognized Shows are granted limited permission to access WDAA tests and may use the specially branded WDAA Recognized Show Logo for promotion and advertising (provided electronically upon approval of application).